Saturday, February 14, 2009

Games for Change

Video and computer games have a bad rep.  Yes, there are some strangely violent games out there, but there's some pretty good ones too.  And there have been some positive effects of video games found, such as improved problem-solving skills, and enhanced perceptual and cognitive skills.  (Having watched my brother, Master Gamer, for years, I quite believe this to be true.)

But I wanted to highlight another type of computer game, a movement toward using them for social change.  I say, if they are the hook that draw the kids in, that's fantastic.  

Here's the Games for Change site.  It's got quite a few on there.  The list grows every time I check back.  Free Rice is strangely addicting, Against All Odds can actually be pretty tricky.  

1 comment:

  1. Yes, they've been getting a little bit of press, it will be interesting to see how well they do.

    ReplyDelete